Apprenticeship Programs

“The Other Four-Year Degree”


Current Program Offerings: 

Carpentry, Dental Assisting, Plumbing, Welding, Ironworking, HVAC, Electric, Sheet Metal, Millwright, Heavy Equipment, Laborer, Machining, Sprinkler Fitter, ASE Auto Tech, Instrumentation, Pipe Fitting, TECE, Masonry, EST

Frequently Asked Questions:

1.  Who is eligible to attend? 
Anyone can attend our Apprenticeship and Technical Training classes – you
do not have to be a state registered apprentice or even working in the field
you are interested in to attend classes.

2. What is Apprenticeship?
An Apprenticeship consists of two parts –

1) is the accumulation of on-the job hours of training and

2) is the related instruction (trade theory, classroom instruction)

Your sponsor (employer) provides the on-the-job training and must register
you with the Delaware Department of Labor, the Apprenticeship and Training
Department.  New Castle County Vo-Tech Adult Education Division provides the related
classroom instruction.

3. What is the cost?
There are two fees associated with each course, Tuition and Administrative Fee.  All students are responsible for paying the Administrative Fee. The State of Delaware pays the tuition for Apprentices whose Delaware companies have registered them with the Delaware Department of Labor. Companies outside of Delaware who register their student with the
Delaware Department of Labor must prove that the student is a Delaware
resident in order to receive the tuition waiver. 

Administrative Fee=$150

Full payment is due at the time of registration.  **Costs are subject to change

4. Do you accept out of state residents?
Students who live and work in a state other than Delaware are welcome to
attend classes but will need to pay the full tuition and administrative fee if
not registered with the Department of Labor as an apprentice.

5.  How long are classes?
Courses start in the Fall, and end in the Spring.  Most programs are four-year programs.  Each year is a full school year consisting of approximately 150 hours of related theory instruction. 

6. How do I request to take the ** Advanced Placement Testing (APT)?
Students must request to test out at the time they enroll in school.  There is a non-refundable test out fee of $150 which must be paid at the time of the request.  A minimum grade of 85% is considered passing for the APT.  Students who do not achieve this minimum score will not receive Advanced Placement Credit and will be placed into the appropriate class.  

**Any registered apprentice who wishes to attempt to test out of their first or second year of class must first submit a written request from their employer.  This request should indicate that the sponsor is in agreement with the request and should list the training and experience that would qualify the student to successfully complete the Advanced Placement Test.

7.  If I went to one of the New Castle County Vo-Tech High Schools can I receive Advance  Placement in the AED program?
YES! Any graduating senior who has successfully completed all Modules of the Core Curriculum and Level 1 trade specific NCCCER curriculum may be awarded Advanced Placement into Year 2 of the AED classes.  Students must apply within sixteen (16) months after graduation and present their Advanced Placement Certificate or have their name appear on the official lists provided to the AED office by their respective high school.  Students exceeding this time period may attempt to “test-out” of year 1 at their own expense.

8. How do I enroll?
We hold one enrollment period each year.  This period is typically held over the summer months.  Students may be asked to enroll via the mail, an online form, or in person.  Procedures are subject to change due to changing COVID restrictions.  Please call our office for the most up to date instructions. 

9. How do I obtain my Electrician License?
Please use the link below to access our Electric Licensure cheat-sheet.  This will help you navigate through the Licensure process. 


10. What is Project Employment Blueprint and do I qualify? 
Project Employment Blueprint (PEB) was developed by the State of Delaware’s Delaware Department of Labor, in partnership with the Vo‐Tech School districts. The PEB program is designed to provide individuals with the opportunity to complete training, which leads to employment in one of 7 high demand skilled trade occupations.   

As a participant the students will receive one year of Related Technical Instruction (RTI), job placement assistance and supportive services to ensure success. The PEB program will work in conjunction with the State of Delaware’s Registered Apprentice Program (RAP). The RAP’s mission is to foster continued success in Delaware businesses while creating a strong workforce. The State of Delaware’s DOL Apprenticeship Navigator, along with Apprenticeship and Training division will support participants with identifying a registered sponsor.       

Please complete the brief pre-screening online form to receive additional information regarding the upcoming Project Employment Blueprint program.