Adult Basic Education
Adult Basic Education (ABE) classes offer an opportunity to build reading, writing and math skills whether you have a secondary credential or not. Many of our ABE students go on to earn a Groves Adult High School Diploma or GED® credential.
- Provides instruction in the basic skills of reading, writing, and mathematics for individuals who are preparing to enter the labor market, upgrade their present level of employment, obtain a GED or high school diploma, and/or enroll in postsecondary education or training.
- Instruction is individualized to enable students to progress at their own pace.
- Each student is provided with a learning plan that is supported by the instructional assistance and guidance of the ABE teacher.
- The curriculum follows the standards and benchmarks set by the Delaware Department of Education.
- Students may earn Certificates of Attainment (COA) for successful completion of these state benchmarks.
- The program is free to students who are 16 years of age or older and who have officially withdrawn from high school.
- This is an open entry/open exit program.
- A reading and math assessment is required to qualify for admission into the training. Contact the Groves office at 683-3642 to register for the assessment.
The 2014 GED® Test is a four-subject computer-based test that measures skills required by high schools and requested by colleges and employers. The four subjects are Science, Social Studies, Mathematical Reasoning, and Reasoning through Language Arts. After you pass the GED® test, your credential will be issued by the state and you will receive a GED® transcript to apply to college, start training, or get a better job.
Preparing for the GED® Test
Test preparation classes are held at the Marshallton Education Center both days and evenings Monday through Thursday from September to May. Classes are also held at the Department of Labor Fox Valley site. Enrollment takes place throughout the school year on a first come, first serve basis. When classes fill we will develop a waiting list.
Due to Covid-19 we cannot accept in-person registrations at this moment. Please register online, you will find the link in the registration tab. For more questions please call our office 302-683-3642
In Delaware, the minimum age required to take the GED® test is 18 years old. you can be 16 or 17 years old and take the GED® if you have following exception:
- Provide verification of withdrawal from the applicant’s public or non-public school program
- Provide a transcript from the applicant’s public or non-public school program.
Hours of operation:
Monday through Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Summer hours: 9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Call for evening appointments-302-683-3642